Russell’s Bob Collie, chief research analyst; Jim Gannon, director, asset allocation and risk management; and David Phillips, senior investment strategist, give an overview of the main issues and offer a practical view about pension plan management.
Written for chief investment officers, chief financial officers and treasurers, the handbook is divided into three sections: the pension plan and the corporation, pension plan basics, and special considerations for frozen and closed plans.
The handbook’s overview was designed to show plan sponsors how to:
- Navigate pension liabilities in the face of new Pension Protection Act (PPA) requirements;
- Manage pension expense on the income statement;
- Understand the impact of defined benefit (DB) plan closure or freezing and risk transfer options;
- Understand how interest rate volatility affects the plan; and
- look ahead to future pension accounting potholes.
A copy of the handbook can be requested from here.