That said, a new CareerBuilder survey chronicles some of the most outrageous excuses hiring managers reported employees offered for arriving late to work:
- I got mugged and was tied to the steering wheel of my car.
- My deodorant was frozen to the window sill.
- My car door fell off.
- It was too windy.
- I dreamed I was already at work.
- I had to go to the hospital because I drank antifreeze.
- I had an early morning gig as a clown.
- A roach crawled in my ear.
- I saw an elderly lady at a bus stop and decided to pick her up.
- My dog swallowed my cell phone.
The survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Interactive among 2,720 hiring managers and human resource professionals (employed full-time; not self-employed; with at least significant involvement in hiring decisions; non government); and 5,231 U.S. employees (employed full-time; not self-employed; non government) ages 18 and over, between November 5 and November 23, 2009.