The goal of WISE is to recruit, support, and retain female advisers, who represent 20% of the advisers in the industry, according to a release from Securian.
Securian said WISE Council members for 2009 are:
- Julie Bower, WISE board president, Tax and Financial Group, Newport Beach, California
- Cara Bancheros, SGC Financial Services, San Mateo, California
- Jan Beal, Securian Advisors MidAmerica, Hiawatha, Iowa
- Jennifer Blanchard, Commonwealth Financial Group, Daniel Island, South Carolina
- Julie Boschert Hercules, Renaissance Financial Group, St. Louis, Missouri
- Chris Insinger, Heritage Financial Services, Omaha, Nebraska
- Kim Luthy, Langdon Ford Financial, Parsippany, New Jersey
- Brandy Navarro, SGC Financial, San Mateo, California
- Jean Duffy Ulrichson, Holmes Murphy Financial Advisors, Des Moines, Iowa.
Securian said research finds that women who reach their four-year anniversary as financial advisers likely will not continue in the career and be successful. The firm built the program to give women in its adviser force a network of colleagues who can share experiences and improve the odds that they will make it through the first four years. Since creating the program in 2004, Securian said it has increased its female adviser force by nearly 10%.
“WISE has been life-changing for many advisers,’ said Julie Bower, WISE board president, in the release. “Our members often are the only female advisers in their firms and it helps to build camaraderie with advisers at other firms and share ideas, insight, and inspiration.’